Friday, February 18, 2011

Traveling with a pregnant diabetic, an EPIC event.

So this past week I went to Madison, Wisconsin for Epic training.  Epic is the electronic medical record that is sweeping the nation and happens to be what my hospital has chosen as ours.  I'm at that awkward stage of pregnancy where my clothes are tight, but maternity clothes are big, so packing was a challenge.  Then there are the pump supplies, the sensor supplies, the lancets and chemstrips, the glucose tablets and the hope that nothing will happen while I'm in a hotel room alone that I can't handle.  Needless to say my bags were full!  So, on Tuesday night when my pump beeped at me I was armed with everything I needed to treat a low...or a high...and then the alarm told me low battery.  Crap, the one thing I forgot were the trusty AAA's.  Generally when I get this warning, I have days before I actually have to change it, so I didn't worry.  I knew the shuttle driver would run me by Walgreens the next day if needed.  We ate our dinner and went back to the hotel to get ready for bed.  What I didn't expect was another alarm at 3:15 in the morning...this time telling me that my pump was "Off NO Power".  This is not good...definitely not good!  So, in my sleepy stupor I knew I had to do something.  I called the front desk and told them I had a weird question and really needed a AAA battery.  Did they perhaps have one around or maybe in a vending machine that I could buy?   I explained that I needed it for my insulin pump and that if they didn't have one I would have to have someone take me to buy one before class the next morning.  I knew I could make it a few hours, but all day and I'd be dead...or at least wishing I was.  I'm sure at this point the front desk girl was thinking I was crazy...or looking for batteries for lord only knows what...I probably gave her a good laugh that night!  Anyway, she told me she'd call me back and went to look for a AAA.  She called about 5 miutes later and had in fact located the battery!  She even offered to bring it up to my room.  Maybe she thought I was in a state where I shouldn't come down...who knows...however, I thought it was really kind and thanked her.  Now that is service with a smile!  I changed my battery and went back to sleep. 
Class was good, I learned a lot.  My baby bump is growing and I'm officially unable to wear normal clothes as I quickly approach 12 weeks.  Luckily my low battery was the worst problem I had on this trip, so all in all I think we're doing okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment