Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Scariest Appointment...for a moment

I went yesterday for my 12 week appointment with my OB.  Reagan is really excited about all of this and I had decided she could go with me to see what they do.  She's 6 and understands some of what is going on and I knew she would like to hear the baby's heartbeat so I let her come along.  I picked her up from school and we went to have lunch and ran some errands before heading to the doctor.  They did my urine, weighed me (GAG) and asked me a bunch of questions I've answered 2 other times that haven't changed and finally we got into a room.  We had waited a while and I had had a lot of water to drink with lunch, so I was hoping the doctor wasn't going to be poking around too much!  She got the doppler out and started looking for the baby's heartbeat.  She said sometimes it takes a while this first time so be patient, but after 2-3 minutes and nothing I was beginning to panic. Of course I didn't want to face the what-ifs of this scenerio, but most of all I had my 6 year old baby with me and how in the world was I going to explain this to her if something was wrong.  The doctor tried for a few more minutes and then said, "I think this little one is just hiding, let's go next door and take a peak with the ultrasound and make sure everything is okay."  I knew what this meant, but she sounded very calm, so I was hoping everything would be okay.  In my head I'm completely freaking out thinking I know we will see the baby, but if there is no heartbeat I'm going to have to explain to Reagan what has happened while keeping my own emotions in check...how on earth will I do this?  I said a little prayer and we walked next door.  I said another little prayer as I laid down on the table.  There is a happy ending to this story as our little baby is doing just fine and the heart was fluttering away, but I can assure you I've never been so scared for a few minutes in my life.  I guess these moments make you realize how much you really want something and how very much you love your children.  I was way more worried about Reagan and her reaction than about myself, all I could think about was her.  In the end apparently my bladder had filled back up and it was pushing the baby back making it hard to get to with the doppler, no big deal, thank goodness! 

No comments:

Post a Comment