Monday, March 28, 2011

The more you read, the more you fear!

I've never really feared my children winding up with diabetes...call it stupidity maybe...I don't know.  I know there's a risk, but I guess I didn't realize it was all that common. When Reagan was born they were doing a study at the pediatric endocrinologists office I had gone to as a young adult (from about 15-20) that tested for antibodies that predetermine diabetes.  I opted out of the study.  I was afraid that we would all wait on pins and needles for something that we know is a chance anyway.  I didn't want to wait until the test came back positive and then everyone be freaking out about what might happen.  I also thought we are very well aware of the signs and symptoms of diabetes and if she started showing them we would certainly have her checked out.  I talked this over with my pediatrician and  he was fine with my reasoning and understood. 
So, since my recent obsession with diabetes blogs I've learned just how common it is for someone with Type 1 to have a child with it as well.  I don't know that it's THAT common, but it is something I've seen and read about several times that has opened my eyes to the reality that it can and does happen.  There are several families with a mother or father that has T1 and a child also been diagnosed.  It's an eye opening thought.  It's one thing for me to have diabetes.  It's scary to know that you are at risk from varying blood sugars, or that during pregnancy that high after lunch could be affecting your little one, but it's quite a different thought that they could experience the same crap at such a young age that is my daily life.  I was diagnosed at 15, and frankly feel like I was pretty lucky.  Some of these kids are 8 or 6, or even 3.  I read today about a little girl who was only 9 months old when diagnosed (her dad is also a T1).  I can't even imagine how scary that would be for a parent.  Of course as I read their stories I have tears streaming down my face!
So now being pregnant I'm trying to remind my hormones that this doesn't have to happen to us...but they are telling me otherwise.  Pregnant women should not be allowed to read the internet!!!  I know better!

No comments:

Post a Comment