Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Thigh High and a Low Blow

So I moved my pump site to my thigh last night...and it's an interesting adjustment.  I think I like it actually.  I haven't noticed it at all and my numbers are really no different than normal, so I think it's a good break for my pin cushion of a belly and a great spot for me to be able to keep the belly free for scanning next week!
I had a doctor's appointment today with my endocrinologist.  It went really well.  She's also a type 1 and has so much insight and understanding.  My a1c was 6.4, which means a 3 month average of 127.  It's not perfect, but it's a good big picture.  I told her how worried I'd been about the highs I've had and she assured me that they might spike up, but it's the sustaining highs that are dangerous to me and the baby, and I'm not experiencing that.  She said at this point the baby is developed and now it's just about monitoring growth.  I am at a higher risk of things being wrong, but there is risk for people who are completely normal and  healthy too, we just hope everything is okay.  I'll take that and hope that if there is something I won't beat myself up too much...I'm not making any promises though! 
I mentioned to her my recent obsession with reading blogs of other type 1's and how much information I've found...both good and bad.  I told her that I might have been stupid before...or naive...but I never realized how common it is for a type 1 to have a child that is also a type 1.  There is a study at a local pediatric endocrinologist where they test for the antibody that is found in kids before they develop it.  They do this study with siblings and children of type 1 diabetics.  I opted out when my kids were little because I didn't want to live in fear of something that we know could happen anyway, but I never realized how high the risk really is.  So, my docs little boy...type 1.  She told me about their experience and I think I've changed my mind.  They now offer a trial where if you test positive for the antibodies, they can give you this insulin pill (think of it as an allergy shot) to try to get your body to stop developing those antibodies and hopefully in turn prevent the disease.  Her son did this and then ended up with the disease, but they found it before he ever had a sign or symptom.  I think that time is precious and I guess I'd rather actively try to prevent it, or even catch it early rather than waiting until it's life threatening and doing damage which is what many of us experience.  I'm going to call the office tomorrow and get my kids into the study.  They may be completely fine and never had a single antibody, but I think I'd rather be aware and prepared than just waiting for them to start losing weight, drinking tons of water and wetting the bed to find out.  I also told my sister about it, who is probably now freaking out at her statistic...it's not a great one either!  However, I think knowledge is power and if we can be prepared and proactive, we can do anything!  
Here are some statistics I found online.  I'm amazed...and glad I'm not the father of my kids right now because that ups their risks even more (sorry guys).
  • If an immediate relative (parent, brother, sister, son or daughter) has type 1 diabetes, one's risk of developing type 1 diabetes is 10 to 20 times the risk of the general population; your risk can go from 1 in 100 to roughly 1 in 10 or possibly higher, depending on which family member has the diabetes and when they developed it. 
  • If one child in a family has type 1 diabetes, their siblings have about a 1 in 10 risk of developing it by age 50. 
  • The risk for a child of a parent with type 1 diabetes is lower if it is the mother — rather than the father — who has diabetes. "If the father has it, the risk is about 1 in 10 (10 percent) that his child will develop type 1 diabetes — the same as the risk to a sibling of an affected child," Dr. Warram says. On the other hand, if the mother has type 1 diabetes and is age 25 or younger when the child is born, the risk is reduced to 1 in 25 (4 percent) and if the mother is over age 25, the risk drops to 1 in 100 — virtually the same as the average American. 
  • If one of the parents developed type 1 diabetes before age 11, their child's risk of developing type 1 diabetes is somewhat higher than these figures and lower if the parent was diagnosed after their 11th birthday. 
  • About 1 in 7 people with type 1 has a condition known as type 2 polyglandular autoimmune syndrome. In addition to type 1 diabetes, these people have thyroid disease, malfunctioning adrenal glands and sometimes other immune disorders. For those with this syndrome, the child's risk of having the syndrome, including type 1 diabetes, is 1 in 2, according to the American Diabetes Association (ADA).

No comments:

Post a Comment