Monday, April 11, 2011

Day 11~Wikipedia Revision

Today's prompt told us to look at the Wikipedia of your disease and write any revisions that you think you would like to see.  Ironically, I've never read my Wikipedia page before...interestingly enough, it's very informative and helpful.  I think it has a lot of great information and would be a good start for a person just diagnosed with type 1.  I like that it says,
"Type 1 treatment must be continued indefinitely in all cases. Treatment need not significantly impair normal activities, if sufficient patient training, awareness, appropriate care, discipline in testing and dosing of insulin is taken. However, treatment is burdensome for many people. Complications may be associated with both low blood sugar and high blood sugar. Low blood sugar may lead to seizures or episodes of unconsciousness and requires emergency treatment. High blood sugar may lead to increased fatigue and can also result in long term damage to organs."
That little paragraph is very informative to me.  It says that yes, you will in fact be on insulin forever (moss growing in the Amazon isn't going to help you) and that you can lead a fairly normal life, but it's not going to always be easy.  There are complications and taking care of yourself is important...
If I was going to add more detail, I might add more about the different types of treatment, injections vs. a pump, the new continuous monitoring sensors, etc.  It does make mention of a pump at one point, but in no detail.  I have had many people question me about that being implantable or is it something I can take off, etc.  It would be nice for there to be a little more description about these different devices.  Upon looking further though, I found that there is another Wikipedia page about the "insulin pump".  Perhaps a link in the "type 1 diabetes" page to that would be helpful.  It's a great page too in fact! 
Great job Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment