Saturday, April 9, 2011

Day 9~Health Activists Choice

Today we are to write about whatever we want...now that I can manage! 

My first thought today was about my husband and what an integral part of my life he is.  We diabetics need a strong support system.  I've wondered before how people manage living on their own with type 1...it's something I've never done.  I know people do, and I know if I had to I would...but I'm certain there would be phone calls from family and friends at predetermined times around the clock to make sure I was concious...it's just part of my life.

I met my husband in high school and we have been together since we were 20.  He's always known I was a pain in the ass, but I literally asked him before we got married if he was up for the challenge of living with this for the rest of his life...he told me he was, though I'm certain there have been moments he regretted it!
I know what it's like for me to worry about highs and lows, I know the fears that I feel, but it's also my body and I have some sense of control...well, that's a word I'm using loosly...but he doesn't have that.  I know that he has had moments of fear about me driving our kids around.  I had a horrible wreck due to a low when I was 21 and I know that thought is always in the back of his mind.  He thinks about me nursing my baby and passing out and the horrible things that can happen...it's all there in his mind day in and day out.  He does a really great job...most of the time...of dealing with it all.  It has caused some stress in our marriage, and I'm sure it will continue to do so.  A low diabetic is a difficult person to deal with.  He's been punched, yelled at, spit at, he's held me while I had a seizure and poured juice down my throat on many occasions.  A high diabetic is no ball game either.  He's given me shots, listened to me whine, gotten griped at over nothing because of my extra short fuse that day, and picked up a lot of slack when I'm feeling too lazy to do anything.  I'm not gonna lie, he's yelled back and showed his own alter ego, but all in all he takes it in stride and handles my psycho moments like a champ, and our marriage works.
     
Here's where I get all mushy, but I honestly don't know how I'd do it all without him.  My husband is my rock.  He is my support and my teammate.  He helps me when no one else can and has saved my life on more than one occasion.  I am so grateful to have him and truly appreciate everything he does...even though he probably doesn't always realize that.  I wish that everyone had their own version of him in their life...the good and the bad, because he is sweet and kind and helpful and wonderful...he's also a hell of a lot of fun and pretty good to look at if I do say so myself!  I love him!  He is a necessary diabetic accessory for me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment