Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 6~I write about my health because...

I just recently started a blog after reading many others.  I loved the inspiration they showed me and felt the desire to share myself and my story as well.  I loved that someone else was talking about how I feel on a daily basis and knew what I went through.  I thought it was a very therapeutic way to get my own feelings out and if someone else found support and a friend in me like I had in those I had been reading, that was just an added bonus!  I didn’t realize how big this group was until I got in…and I’m just on the surface right now!  I guess the main reason I blog is for me, for my own version of therapy and healing…and then for the feeling of being a part of something.  I don’t have many type 1 friends, so it’s really great to read what someone else says and know exactly what they are talking about. 
Since I started I’ve found so many ways to help and get involved, ways to really advocate for my disease.  There are a lot of things that you forget about when you are living with this every day.   People don’t look at us a sick or suffering and there is a lot of advocacy needed to move toward a cure.  A cure for Type 1 has been talked about for longer than I have been afflicted with the disease and I think sometimes because we have a treatment that we can in fact live with, we get overlooked.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m so glad that I have insulin and a pump and a glucometer, etc.  I’m so glad that I can live a semi-normal lifestyle with this disease, but that still doesn’t mean that we don’t deserve a cure.  Just because we can treat it, doesn’t mean it’s gone and I think sometimes people forget that.  We still face this disease every single day.  Every day I wake up and check my blood sugar…at least 6-8 times a day since I’m pregnant.  I count my carbs, inject myself (with a needle or through my pump) with insulin, I deal with highs and lows and mood swings and sweats.  I get blurry vision and worry about the chance of me causing an accident or worse.  A treatment I appreciate, more than anyone could know, but a cure…man, what a miracle. 
So, I write for me and for all of those others that are dealing with this every day.  I write hoping that someday one of us can make a difference, to one another or even to the world as a whole…   

No comments:

Post a Comment